YOUR EYE and COMPANY

Your Eye on Photo [Photographing the journey]
Blogging about photo and life

Monday, November 1, 2010

Halloween

Canada being my adoptive country, halloween seemed strange to me as a kid. We did not celebrate or had even heard of Halloween in Egypt, the country where I was born. We did go to masquerade balls but there was no candy involved and it wasn't about wearing scarry costumes.

I now know the origins of this celebration and even though the essence of it is long forgotten, I can see why some people prefer to bypass the holiday all together.  I must admit, it is not my favorite holiday. And now that my children are all grown up and no longer go trick or treating, I didn't really feel like getting into the spirit of it. 

Nonetheless, I was curious to see what was left of my old decorations. Despite my shabby display, I made sure I had a litup pumpkin to signify that "We were giving candy" . I am glad I was home to receive the little muchkins. It was such a pleasure to see their little faces  - or masks - light up and hear their gleeful voices say "Thank you."  

Yesterday on Halloween night, distributing candy to little ones was one more opportunity to appreciate the fact that I am Canadian and that I live in a great country.

No comments:

Post a Comment