YOUR EYE and COMPANY

Your Eye on Photo [Photographing the journey]
Blogging about photo and life

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Google Earth

For someone who is at her computer a considerable amount of time this is almost ironic...
I just discovered "Google Earth" last week. I new about the maps and the "street views" but it had never occured to me to look at maps or streets in other towns, let alone other countries.

A friend showed me how to get on Google Earth and zoom into the area I wanted to "visit". The views improve in many towns daily as they are able to add features like street view. After a bit of exploration in my neighbourhood, I decided to see Paris and London, where I had spent so much time over my  30 years as a flight attendant.  Then I wondered if it would be possible to go visit the town where I was born and lived until the age of 9 years old. I got excited at the tought of traveling all the way to Egypt and all from right here at my desk. So I just hopped...to Port Said.

Amazing... Fantastic... I was able to go to the beach where I spent so much time as a child. I visited our church and my old school. One can see photos that other people have posted of a specific area. There's a new creative and useful use for travel photos. Not to mention great exposure - Pun intended-
Even though "Street View" is not available in Port Said yet, I was able to trace back my steps from the time I got lost - or so everyone thought - at the age of 7 and found my way home. From Port Fouad accross the Suez Canal to Port Said. This was some trip down memory lane!

Google Earth is a great way to check out cities, towns, resorts, attractions ect... before planning you next vacation. Or even your next photo shoot.

I undrestand that I have yet to dicover how to dive underwater and fly in the sky. Technology is amazing when put to good use!

Thank you Google Earth
Go to www.googleearth.com/earth
new google url http://www.google.com/earth/index.html
Thanks Anon.

4 comments:

  1. Too bad you can't also go back in time. You could then recall when you met your great husband!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We could then see and maybe also hear who said what...

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, the link has changed... Please follow this link (URL) Earth.google.com

    ReplyDelete